- 500g potatoes, unpeeled and roughly chopped
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 1kg courgettes, roughly chopped
- bunch spring onion, sliced – save 1 for serving, if eating straight away
- 100g extra-mature cheddar or vegetarian alternative, grated, plus a little extra to serve
- good grating fresh nutmeg, plus extra to serve
- Put the potatoes in a large pan with just enough water to cover them and crumble in the stock cubes. Bring to boil, then cover and cook for 5 mins.
- Add the courgettes, put the lid back on and cook for 5 mins more. Throw in the spring onions, cover and cook for a final 5 mins.
- Take off the heat, then stir in the cheese and season with the nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Whizz to a thick soup, adding more hot water until you get the consistency you like.
- Serve scattered with extra grated cheddar, spring onions and nutmeg or pepper. Or cool and freeze in freezer bags or cont ainers with good lids for up to 3 months.