Active Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 2 Hours 10 Minutes
For the Candied Pecans
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 8 ounces pecan pieces
- For the Passion Fruit Vinaigrette:
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup peeled and pureed passion fruit or 1/2 cup *reduced passion fruit juice
- 1/8 teaspoon scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and diced or 1/8 teaspoon jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- salt and freshly ground pepper
For the Salad
- Juice of 2 oranges
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Half of a 7.8-ounce can (4 stalks) hearts of palm, drained and thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 firm ripe mango
- 1 pound baby field greens or mesclun mix, washed and dried
- 1 bunch of fresh mint, leaves removed
- To prepare the candied pecans
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. In a small saucepan, over medium heat, dissolve the sugar in the water. Add the pecans, over medium-high heat bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low.
- Gently simmer for 30 minutes and strain off the liquid. Place the drained pecans on a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the pecans are crispy. Set aside to cool.
To make the vinaigrette
- Place all of the ingredients, except the salt and pepper, in a jar or plastic container with a tight-fitting lid. Close the top and shake vigorously until the dressing looks creamy.
- Season to taste with the salt and pepper and set aside until ready to use. If the dressing separates, just shake vigorously before using.
To prepare the salad
- In a medium bowl, mix the orange and lemon juice together. Add the sliced hearts of palm and set aside for 1 hour.
- Cut the flesh of the mango away from the broad oval pit, then with a paring knife, peel the skin from the mango.
- Thinly slice the flesh, transfer it to a plate, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.
To finish the salad
- Place the greens and mint leaves in a large mixing bowl. Drain hearts of palm from the juice, discarding the liquid then add them to the greens.
- Add the mango slices, pour the dressing over the salad, and toss gently. Divide the salad between 6 to 8 salad plates and garnish with the candied pecans.
- To make reduced passion fruit juice— Place 1 cup passion fruit juice in a small saucepan and over medium-high heat reduce down to 1/2 cup.