Prep time 20 minutes, Cook time10 minutes, Total time 30 minutes
Mushroom fried rice recipe – stir fried Chinese style fried rice with mushrooms
- 1 cup or 1.25 cups basmati or long grained rice
- 200-250 gms white button mushrooms
- 2-3 garlic cloves – finely chopped
- 1 medium onion or 2-3 spring onions, chopped finely
- ¾ to 1 tbsp chopped celery
- 1 tbsp naturally fermented soy sauce
- 2 to 3 tbsp oil
- Salt and black pepper as required
- First rinse the rice till the water runs clear of the starch. Then cook the rice in 5 cups of water with a few drops of oil and some salt.
- Avoid cooking the rice till it becomes mushy or too soft. Drain the rice in a colander and keep aside.
- After the initial steam passes from the rice, cover the colander with a lid. Let the rice cool completely before you add it to the mushrooms.
- Heat oil in a saucepan, add the garlic and onions first and stir fry for 2 minutes on a high flame.
- Then add the chopped mushrooms and stir-fry for 5-6 minutes or more on a high flame till the mushrooms begin to get lightly browned from the edges.
- First the whole mixture will become watery as mushrooms will release water and slowly the water will evaporate and you will see oil floating in the mixture.
- When the mushrooms begin browning, add the celery and stir-fry for a minute. Add soy sauce, black pepper and salt. Stir and then add the rice. Stir gently but briskly.
- Stir-fry the rice for 2-3 minutes. Serve the mushroom fried rice hot garnished with celery or spring onion greens with a side Indo- Chinese vegetable dish like vegetable balls in hot garlic sauce, sweet and sour vegetables, vegetable manchurian.
To give some heat in the dish, you can add a bit of red chili powder or cayenne pepper.