When courgettes are not in season this tart is delicious made with roasted butternut squash or roasted aubergine slices and mozzarella to replace the goats cheese.
If you are using ready-made pastry look for the all butter variety for the best flavour.
- 250g short crust pastry
- For the filling:
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp light soft brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 500g small-medium courgettes, sliced into 2cm (3/4 in) rounds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp thyme leaves, chopped
- 120g mature goats cheese, cubed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 egg yolk
- 225ml whipping cream
- 1 tbsp parmesan, finely grated
- You will need
- 23cm loose-based fluted flan tin, baking beans and a baking sheet
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and line the tart tin. Leave untrimmed and chill for 30 minutes. Next make the tomato filling.
- Place the tomatoes, onion, sugar and garlic in a saucepan and cook for 20 minutes or until thick and well reduced with no watery juices. Set aside to cool.
- Heat oven to 190C, 170C fan, 375F, gas 5. In a bowl toss the courgettes with the oil and thyme leaves until well coated. Spread out on a baking tray.
- Line the pastry case with baking parchment and baking beans. Place in the oven with the courgettes on a lower shelf and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the paper and beans from the tart tin. Remove the courgettes and turn over.
- Place the tart and the courgettes back in the oven and cook for a further 8-10 minutes until the pastry is golden. Remove the tart and the courgettes. Reduce the oven temperature to 170C, 150C fan, 325 F, gas 3.
- Carefully spread the tomato sauce over the base of the tart. Cover with the courgettes and the goats’ cheese.
- Beat the eggs, egg yolk and cream together. Season well with salt and pepper, then pour over the courgette and tomato filling.
- Sprinkle the parmesan over the top, return the tart to the oven and cook for 30 minutes or until the filling is just set.
- Remove from the oven, trim the top of the pastry and leave to cool for 10 minutes before serving.