Prep time 10 minutes
Cooking time 1 hr 35 minutes
Total time 1 hr 45 minutes
Calories 443-325 per serving
- 2-bone rib of beef, around 3kg
- 2 red onions, halved
- 300ml (½pt) full-bodied red wine
- 500ml good-quality beef stock
- 1tsp corn flour, mixed with 1tsp water
- Heat the oven to 220 C, 200 C fan, 425 F, gas 7. Season the beef all over, transfer to a small roasting tin with the red onions and roast on high for 20 minutes, then a further 25 minutes per 1kg at 190 C, 170 C fan, 375 F, gas 5.
- Take out of the roasting tin, cover in foil and allow to rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Pour the roasting juices into a saucepan, skim off the fat and add the red wine and beef stock.
- Simmer until you have a rich gravy, thickening with a few drops of corn flour if necessary.