This vegetarian lentil soup is packed with flavor, protein, nutrients, and heart-warming goodness. It is a great recipe healthy, comforting, yummy and easy to make.
- · 1 tablespoon olive oil
- · 1 onion, chopped
- · 3 cloves garlic, minced
- · 1 carrot, diced
- · 1 celery stalk, diced
- · 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- · 1 1/2 cups brown lentils
- · 4 (15 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- · 2 cups water
- · 2 cans (15 ounce) diced tomatoes
- · 2 bay leaves
- · 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- · 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- · Salt and pepper, to taste
- · 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic. fry briefly over high heat until the onion is tender and garlic is light brown in color. Add carrot, celery, and sweet potatoes. Cook until vegetables soften, about 5-7 minutes.
2. Stir in the lentils, vegetable broth, and water. Add the diced tomatoes, bay leaves, thyme, and rosemary. Season it with salt and pepper and stir; then cook on medium-low heat for about 35-40 minutes or until lentils are cooked.
3. Add the fresh spinach and stir. If necessary, season with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaves and serve warm.