Despite many fruits importance and plenty availability in Rwanda, the Pineapple fruit is said to be one of the best fruits with an internal juicy flesh which may range from creamy white to yellow and has a mix of sweet and tart taste with rich flavor.
It is a good source of vitamins and minerals; they will boost you instantly, quench your thirst and satisfy your hunger at the same time.
With the outer rough, tough, scaly rind which may be dark green, yellow, orange-yellow or reddish when the fruit is ripe Pineapple fruit is a compound fruit that develops from many small fruits fused together around the central core.
Pineapple fruit is usually referred to as a great fruit just for the many reasons and preferred by many.
- · Fresh Pineapple is low in calories and more so, it is a storehouse of several unique health promoting compounds, minerals and vitamins that are essential for optimum health. The 100 g fruit provides just about 50 calories equivalent to that of apples.
- · Pineapple fruit contains a proteolytic enzyme Bromelain that digests food by breaking down protein. Bromelain also has anti-inflammatory, anti-clotting and anti-cancer properties. Studies have shown that consumption of pineapple regularly helps fight against arthritis, indigestion and worm infestation.
- · Fresh pineapple is an excellent source of antioxidant vitamin; vitamin C. 100 g fruit contains 47.8 or 80% of this vitamin. Vitamin C is required for the collagen synthesis in the body.
- · It also contains small amount Vitamin A and beta-carotene levels. These compounds are known to have antioxidant properties. Vitamin A is also required maintaining healthy mucus membranes, skin and essential for vision. Studies have suggested that consumption of natural fruits rich in flavonoids helps the human body to protect from lung and oral cavity cancers.
- · This fruit Contains B-complex group of vitamins like folates, thiamin, pyridoxine, riboflavin and minerals like copper, manganese and potassium. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids, helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure.
Rwanda: The great pineapple fruit,