Weekend arrives when all that energy has been drained. A healthy, easy, and comforting meal is the perfect thing to boost energy and morale among Rwandans.
Taking the “fried” out of the “fried rice,” this vegetable -and-protein-packed meal makes the perfect end-of-week meal.
Veggie “Fried” Rice
- 1 zucchini, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1-handful cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 can low-sodium black beans, rinsed
- 2 cups cooked rice
- ½ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 eggs
- Your choice of cheese (shredded cheddar or Parmesan work well!)
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
1. In a large frying pan, sauté zucchini, tomatoes, beans, and rice in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. When the rice begins to stick, add broth and cook until tomatoes wilt and the zucchini begins to brown, about 5-7 minutes.
3. While the rice and vegetables cook, prepare the eggs in a separate nonstick pan in your favorite preparation— scrambled, sunny side up, or poached work well!
4. Serve rice mixture in bowls, and top with eggs, cheese, and some fresh ground pepper.